Things to do
More information visit
Clare Island Home Page – www.clareisland.ie
Clare Ireland Info Page – www.clareisland.info
Clare Island Ferry Page –www.clareislandferry.com
Clare Island is without doubt, the heart of the Wild Atlantic Way. It is an amazing location for walking in the wilderness with the fresh salt air on your face. Its 4500 acres (five miles long by three miles wide) encompasses two hills, Knockmore at 450m and Knocknavean at 265m offering panoramic views around Clew Bay.
The island has rivers meandering through the hills with wild trout, secluded harbours offering pristine swimming platforms, westerly facing mega cliffs home to flocks of seasonal and native bird life, the cliffs also offer the perfect location to sit and watch passing marine life such as dolphins and whales.
- The Tower walk: mains roads, 7km each way.
- The Lighthouse walk: mains roads, 4km each way.
- The Green Road Loop: Green road (grassy track) and main road, 8km circuit.
- The Porteen Finish Loop walk: Off road, heritage trail.
- Knockmore Mountain walk and climb :Off-road and some main road, 7km each way.
- Knocknaveen Mountain walk: Off-road and main road, 6km loop walk.
- Grace O’Malley’s castle (The Pirate Queen)
- The Clare Island Abbey: 14th Century ceiling paintings
- The Graveyard: Monuments and stories from the Great War
- Megalithic Burial Tomb
- Fulachta Fiadh (Stone Age cooking site)
- Famine Landscapes (house ruins, potato ridges, wall systems)
- Congested District Board (Striping the land)
- The Clare Island Survey and Robert Lloyd Praeger
- The Heritage Center located at the harbor brings together a wonderful picture of the islands past with artifacts and photography.
For those longer-stay guests, Bay View House provides you with a perfect base from which to take day trips including a visit to:
- Westport Town and Westport House
- Achill Island, Inishturk Island
- Louisburgh Town and its many beaches
- Croagh Patrick
- Connemara, Leenane and the Killary Fjord
- Féile Chois Cuain 2023: 28/29/30 April 2023
- Swimming and water-safety camp 2023: dates to follow
- Cúl Camp 2023: awaiting dates
- Bus Tour
- Bike Hire
- Ballytoughey Loom
- Art ‘n Curio
- Heritage Centre
- Sea Safari – Book on check out
- Clare Island Whiskey Tasting – Book on check out
- Spirit of Clare Island Tour – Book on check out